View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default statins and PD

Hi Lurkingforacure,
I did petition the govt for all adverse effects reporting done on Lipitor up to 2006, the dates the FDA agency maintained they had "all information together" for public consumption. It took a lawyer writing to them for the information after I applied 3 times to no avail, under the Freedom of infomation Act. Once they received the inquiry from the lawyer, I received the information. the info they sent was hundreds of pages with NO useable categorizing. again the lawyer wrote and demanded the info be sent in specific categories, ie: peripheral neuropathy, cognitive dysfunction, tremors, etc. since the agency has the computer programs to present the info in a useable form. Problem: they were able to get around providing useful info again by utilizing completely different categories for symptoms that should have been listed under one heading: ie: neurological deficit, memory problems, cognitive problems, slowness, possible neuro symptoms, etc etc etc. I am still picking thru the information, thou must admit, my attention and time limits are a factor here in not completing the task at hand.

Dr. Duane Graveline did obtain semi useful info from the reporting body, though his primary interest was the incidence of transient global amnesia (TGA) and statin use, owing to the fact he sufferred 2 episodes of TGA for which he associates Lipitor useage. one may access his info on his web site spacedoc.net.
I also wrote to 23andme and MJF asking for at least an epidemiological study to determine a potential association btn statins and the onset of parkinson's(esp fat soluble ones that cross the blood brain barrier and interrupt the brain's own mavelonate pathway to making brain cholesterol; since fats do not easily cross the BBB, the brain theoretically makes its own cholesterol utilizing the same mavelonate pathway as in the liver). Have also asked 23andme to look into an association among statins, genetic mutations in the SLCO1B1 gene and parkinson's. no response yet from either of these 2 entities.
There is a prospective study proposed by Dr. Xuemi Huang, neurologist in Pa at present, to include 1600 PD patients to determine if statins and PD are positively associated. An ambitious proposed study. She has yet to find funding; imagine my surprise.

As MrsD maintains, no one with the ability to find out this information is interested in doing so, and in fact has a major stake in not uncovering any association btn statins and PD. and perhaps there is none, or as I believe there is an association for those with genetic mutations that result in problems with detoxifying or metabolizing statins. these mutations are not rare, though obviously do not occur in all. I have written to almost everyone on the planet about the potential for statins inducing PD esp for those with SNPs in the gene noted (didn't you receive your copy of my letter? just a small joke and a small exaggeration). I continue my research, though have mostly ceased ranting since most everyone has heard it and is sick to death of it, including myself.

ANd there is contrasting info out there that statins may be beneficial in PD, esp simvastatin. Bet those individuals do not have these SNPs, and also have been on statins less than 5-8 yrs (brain choelsterol has a long half life: theorized to be 5 1/2 yrs, thus any adverse effects from directly lowering brain choesterol via statins would not begin to show up for a much longer period than most drug studies are run. but again, that's my opinion. ) .
Oh yeah, as to Vit D3 (25-OHD), there is some evidence that statins act as an analogue of D3,

( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16815382)

since one would expect much lower levels in everyone who takes statins---25-OHD is a steroid that depends upon the cholesterol synthetic pathway for its production. though many studies have shown no decreased levels of Vit D in patients taking statins.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20016680
lurkingforacure, I like having an ally.

and Laura, there is an article about use of ketogenic diet for epilepsy in the NYTimes Sunday magazine which presents a case study of a young male who was experiencing upwards of 300 seizures/day whose seizure rate has been dropped to <10/day from the ketogenic diet. fat for brains, does amazing things. though trying coconut oil was a bust for us; resulted in greatly increased twitching!
whoops: just noticed imark posted the link to the article about ketogenic diets and epilepsy.
madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (11-22-2010), mrsD (11-23-2010), soccertese (11-26-2010), tulip girl (11-22-2010), VICTORIALOU (11-27-2010)