View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default This diet in trials for PD

Peg,

A few weeks ago we had a thread on high fat or ketogenic diet to treat PD. In 2005, there was a clinical trial of PWP put on a 90% fat ketogenic diet. It did improve symptoms, but the diet is not at all palatable plus unbalanced to say the least.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...011#post719011

As the NYT article says, treating disease through diet is nothing new. That poor kid in the article will not have to stay on that diet forever; usually kids are on it for 1-2 years and it essentially 'cures' their epilepsy. These are kids who do not respond to the drugs. Yes, I would worry about that diet for a length of 1-2 years, but is it really any more harmful than anti-seizure meds for a lifetime? There are plenty of case studies proving that any neuro drug has he potential to permanently alter our brain chemistry, and not for the better (think of Paxil's link to Parkinsonism).

Considering diet, I am trying to put together a hybrid of a ketogenic lite (60% fat, 30% carb, 10% protein), a mitochondrial friendly mix of veggies (5-6 cups a day up to 9!!) and an anti-inflammatory foods emphasis (more like a paleolithic diet). I am hoping to put together the best of all three and see if that helps.

The mitochondrial diet is from a doctor who reversed her MS Terry Wahls. The anti-inflammatory diet info is from the blog of a research scientist called Cooling Inflammation.. I am learning about fats from the work of Mary Enig and following her meals in the book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat".

Hope this helps some how and some way.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (11-23-2010), olsen (11-23-2010), VICTORIALOU (11-27-2010)