View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I have no will power

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
I am following your steps and have made changes in my diet in line with your suggestions and particularly taking coconut oil (I reduced my carbohydrate intake but would not eliminate it altogether as they are the best source of fibre).
Results so far: I noted about 300% increase in my energy (measured as maximum ability to work out on stationary bike which increased from 150 to 450 calories), BUT NOTED NO IMPROVEMENT IN MY TREMOR.
I speculate that all cells including brain cells are better energized. So we have more dopamine but also more acetylcholine and improvement of PD tremor depends on tilting the balance in favour of dopamine. (antycholinergic drugs which work best for tremor do this by suppressing acetycholin). Hence no improvement in tremor.
This is 100% amateurish speculation only justified for lack of better explanation but I am not forgetting that little knowledge can be dangerous so please take this in account !
cheers
Imad
Imad,

I am glad you are feeling more energy! I noticed an improvement there too especially since adding in a little more Vitamin D. That is really great news on your stamina for exercise getting better to boot. I noticed that too but have been remiss in not exercising for a few days, so I better get back to it.

As for the coconut oil...I think that it has only been tested with Alzheimer's patients, so I am thinking that if PD cognitive decline is at all similar, we may benefit in that dept. I didn't know what it would do for our motor symptoms; in fact, I am thinking it may exacerbate tremor. I know Madelyn just posted they had to stop because it increased twitching. Looking at our neurotransmitters, it seems coconut oil would favor acetylcholine, so maybe it's not so good for tremor? Who knows! Maybe just keep a check on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I am using the coconut oil mainly to jump start my metabolism to start losing weight again. It works for that, most definitely! I have yet to put together my diet; I am waiting on some meal planning software to get me up and running with it. Very impressive you are sticking with it though. Are you doing a carb, protein, fat ratio as the basis? I am also dragging my feet into this new diet because frankly I don't have the will power to eliminate nearly all processed food from our home. This is the approach Mary Enig promotes, but I need baby steps. A good crusty loaf of bread is one of life's simple pleasures, and I am holding on for dear life....lol

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (11-24-2010)