View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The upper cervical chiropractor does not do the twist and pop neck adjustments. In fact, the adjustments are so gentle that you will wonder if it is making any difference.

I have been getting NUCCA chiropractic for the past two weeks. It is making a difference. Now, I just have to convince my insurance company to pay their share of the bills.

Your medication mix is interesting.

I am taking gabapentin (900 mgs) and have been for over 9 years. I take it before bed to help my brain and body relax. It has a short half-life so it is mostly gone by morning. I do not take it again until bedtime.

Amitriptyline (Elavil) is a comon PCS med. The usual dosage for PCS is just 10 mgs or so. It is a tri-cyclic anti-depressant. Many have had good experiences with it in low doses.

The meloxicam is an NSaid. Pain relief and anti-inflamatory plus some fever reducing. It is more common for rheumatoid arthritis. My doc tried me on Indocin years ago but it made me crazy. I lost all sense of direction. I could get lost in a closet. I take enteric aspirin each morning for the same benefits. The enteric means it does dissolve in nor hurt my stomach.

The meclizine is an anti-nausea/anti-motion sickness drug. I deal with nausea regularly. I take high doses of paroxetine (Paxil) to help my brain stop looping on mundane and meaningless thoughts. A side effect of paroxetine is nausea. If I lay down with a completely empty stomach, I get waves of mild nausea.

Are you still struggling with motion sickness in normal situations? I am more sensitive to motion sickness but not in normal day to day activities. This motion sickness should improve over time. It may not go away completely, though.

I have cycled up and down through motion sickness sensitivities with each subsequent concussion or head impact since my first and only 'severe' concussion at 10 years old. For me, it helps to have a distant focus when riding in the car. If I look at the things that go by quickly, I can get overwhelmed and even sick.

The Lunesta and gabapentin have some extra side-effects from being used simultaneously. They can depress CNS and respiratory functions. PCS subjects cannot tolerate slowed respiration with the low oxygen from it. You might discuss this with your doctor or even pharmacist.

Have you tried to develop a sleep hygiene to prepare for bedtime. There are plenty of online resources for good pre-sleep hygiene. I need to have the proper pajamas (cotton), soft sheets, no drafts, and anything else that might cause an interrupting sensation. I even had to sleep with chenile gloves for the first year or two. My brain would detect the difference in tactile sensation and not be able to ignore it.

The sensory processing disorder is due to the brain's failure to properly gate sensory information. It should be able to block some sensory information and only allow the pertinent sensory information through to be processed. This is just a tactile overload form similar to visual or auditory overload.

It can be annoying trying to discover the accommodations that work, but believe me, when you find what works for you, it will benefit you and those around you.

I can imagine the difficulty trying to keep these meds straight. I struggle to just take my morning regimen and then my bedtime regimen.

Hope you are doing better. I had success putting my transmission back together better and getting to drive a bit. More like ice skate. The roads here are like ice rinks.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (11-26-2010), vini (11-26-2010)