View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 02:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Aries,

I am glad to hear an update from you and happy the MG symptoms are gone.

I have had a lot of improvements from diet changes, but I still have MG symptoms.

For about 3 months I have been avoiding most gluten containing foods and I noticed that I felt better. Recently, just to test this out, I ate some bread and other gluten containing foods. I had a very bad allergic reaction including scratchy throat and itchy skin, even a rash on my chest, back and neck (never had that before from bread). And my MG symptoms got really bad. So I am going back to gluten avoidance.

Also, I stopped using shampoo and soaps because they irritate my skin (I now use baking soda and vinegar). Now, whenever I test out using soap or shampoo, I get extremely itchy skin with welts. Same reaction with hair spray. I never got this reaction before, only a slight itchy feeling. I am never using hair care products again.

I am currently figuring out other things that irritate my body. In the past I have been tested for allergies, starting at about 3 years old and most recently about 7 years ago. Every time the doctors said that I was allergic to just about everything they tested for. I was given a list of the worst reactions so I could avoid these few things and told that since I was allergic to just about everything that I was going to have to experiment with the rest and eat the things that bother me the least.

So now I am eliminating things from my life that cause allergic reactions, no matter how slight. It is difficult to avoid some of these things, but I try.

Your words give me hope that this process may help reduce my MG symtoms further. I am currently not feeling so great because of the bread and soap, it is a slow recovery from being exposed to these things. Also, I am extremely allergic to cinnamon and just about every store has some during the holidays, just one breath of that stuff and I get dizzy or worse, now it triggers MG symptoms as well as runny nose and itchy skin. (Once I completely lost my vision and balance and had to have someone lead me out of the store, I almost passed out. I've been to the emergency room from cinnamon reactions before I discovered the allergy.)

I have felt so bad recently that I started eating not-so-healthy foods(canned & packaged food & not many fresh food), too tired/weak to shop and cook what is best for me...and this has had a huge impact on my symptoms. I think I'll be avoiding the packaged food even more in the future. Time to go buy a bunch of vegetables and fruit. I think I should plan a week of meals so nothing gets wasted...it is a lot of work this eating right, it shouldn't be, but it is...the junk food is so much easier to buy and prepare.

I have a question. Does anyone know of a website or program that helps track nutrition? I have looked and it seems all of these sites are for dieting and focus on calories, fat and cholesterol...I don't care about those items but want to be sure I am getting all my vitamins and minerals. I don't like taking vitamins and I just haven't found the energy to keep track of this manually. I am considering making one for myself, getting the information for one food at a time, creating my own database.

Ok, I am rambling on and on. Aries I think you are on to something. It may be difficult to identify things that make our MG worse/better since we are all unique in our situations, but it is worth a try.

I am thankful for the improvements in my MG symptoms, I am so happy that I can see and walk most of the time...

Please check in for updates in the future, I hope you remain symptom free.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote