View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Actually I have experimented since the 2006 diagnosis with the vit D issue and have discovered I am not the average person in this area. When I was diagnosed it was at the end of summer and I had been out exposing hands and face as docs will say. I tried doing that more and reducing the amount of clothing and such and saw only mild increases. It wasnt untill I started tanning that I saw my numbers really rise and the other piece 'stay up.' I have to work so hard to keep my numbers from plummeting. And then at a certain threshold the deficiency symptoms begin to return. Some of those are from the parathyroid elevating too tho.

I used the lite in my face before I knew I had such little D in me. One of the things that D deficiency can cause is SAD symptoms. So I bought the lite and it helped some but only when the vit D was adressed did the many issues that went with the low D including that disappear.

There is a doc at the univeristy I go to that designed her own program to help her MS. There is a presentation by her I will post a link to here later. One of the things she notes is that her program affects endorphins in that she agressively uses high powered TENS devices as part of her exercise regime. So she notes that the affect to the disease of the endorphine increase is something to note. This struck me in that an alternative treatment used by some for MS is low dose naltrexone or LDN. One of the basis for this is that folks with automimmune disease may tend to have lower levels of endorphines. The reason I bring this up is that I did wonder if the endorphins brought on by the tan bed use had an effect on me that other types getting the vit D didnt.

My youngest daughter connected with me a couple days ago. She said we are going to get together on Saturday as a family for Thanksgiving. This gave me a boost I so needed. I found out that my oldest daughter has a very very sick kitty. This makes her call to me that was so overwhelmed from her standpoint make more sense. When she took her to the vet she ran into the old vet that was such a sweetheart when our kitty nearly died from an animal attack when she was in college. This brought all that back to her, all that emotion of back then added to now. The good piece being that he just happened to walk in the door that day.

I am kinda off on tangents here I think. Hope you can forgive.

Annie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyRCC View Post
Annie59, DesertFlower has a "brite" idea there. Tanning beds really aren't the safest things. If the cooler weather doesn't seem to bother your MG maybe it's better to put on some warm comfy clothes and try to spend a bit of time sitting outside. Natural sunlight is the best source of Vit D, most people only need about 10 mins. daily.

Hope you feel better soon!
Rachel
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote