Thread: SSDI or SSI
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
If I were you I would call my local office and make an appointment, to go in. They go over the paper work with you and make sure everything is filled out properly. They can give you an idea how much you are entitled to, but the only way you will find out if you're qualified is to go through the red tape. The 1-800# only knows what you have filed. If there is no paper work they will only send you a lot of paper work that I think in your condition will probably confuse you. You can start by filing online at the ssa.gov site. There are so many factors that come into play, like if you're married, or if you have full work credits, if you have children. You are really lucky to be alive.. Good luck and take care.
Today is 11/27/10. If a claim is not filed with SSA or an intent to file a claim is not established in 11/10, it is possible that you will have lost one month's worth of benefits. If you can put everything together before Tuesday and have time to go to your local office and hope that the walk-in traffic is light enough, then going to your office on Monday or Tuesday is a viable idea. The most important thing, though, is to establish the intent to file and then file the claim within 60 days. You can accomplish that by calling the 800# and asking for an appointment or by submitting a claim online before Tuesday. I think it makes the most sense to be thorough from the beginning and not assume that SSA will fill in the missing pieces.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote