View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 01:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am just getting to the point where I am having all these thoughts. Mostly, I am dissapointed at the fact that I will probably never be able to take my little kids backpacking.

Hubby and I, were pretty avid backpackers when we were first dating. I have seen some wonderful parts of the sierras and the rockies that way. I would not trade those experiences for anything. Right before we got preggers with my 2 younger kids, we took my dream trip. We did it because I told him we had to before I had more kids, since I might never get back to it once I did. Ididn't really imagin ever becoming this incapable at the time, but what a lesson in sieze the day. It was an 8 day trek. We started in Sequoia National Park and hiked all the way across the Sierras to Mt Whitney. There are no roads through the sierras, so the only way to see most of what we did is on foot. It was incredible. There is nothing like the feeling of solitude once you are a few days in from the nearest trailhead.

I was lucky, too, to be able to take my oldest deep into the Yosemite wilderness and on a trip to the Havasupai waterfalls in the Grand Canyon. Such a learning experience to be alone like that. She was a trooper.

I have really missed backpacking, and in fact we had the younger kids close together in the hopes we would get back to it sooner that way. I always feel more at home in the woods than pretty much anywhere else.

I am very happy to have had the experiences I did. I will do my best to impart the wilderness to my yougest kids, it'll just be car camping with a very fat thermarest for a long long time. Been joking about getting a llama to haul my pack...maybe it will happen someday?

Always live with no regrets. Do what you can with what you have and squeeze all the good out of it. Don't put it off for tomorrow.

Thanks, Dawn for the chance to get that out. I love the image of you riding on your horse, wind blowing your hair and sun in your face. I'll keep that one with me as a sign off to sleep.

Good night everyone,
sweet dreams

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote