View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi p_v13,

Bone graft material is generally hard and does not resemble anything soft or soggy. Also, it is not very common to have bone graft material seep out of a surgical site a month or so post op. So I'm not sure what this is. Sometimes the dentist will put a collagen plug in the site on top of the bone graft... this acts sort of like a blanket to protect the graft and keep it in place during the initial healing phase. This plug is white and spongy.. but the plug actually becomes one with the initial blood clot that forms immediately after the surgery. So I would be surprised if that's what you were seeing.

If it is pus and there is an infection there... you don't have to have pain or swelling because the bacteria has found an opening to seep out. If it is infection and that area closes off, then you would get pain and swelling. However, I am not sure what you have.

By any chance.... could it be plaque? Are you brushing thoroughly in that area?

Bryanna
Hmmmm...interesting. the white spongy plug that you described seems to fit what i am seeing from time to time but then again i am unsure. it's not a large amount that come out but it's enough to alarm me. Also, why does he have me push on the gum lines with a tooth brush? is this suppose to help get the blood to circulate or what? in some areas it is still tender and i do not push hard on the gum lines like he showed me.

Yes, i have been doing my best to keep the area clean. i floss, brush with an electric tooth brush, and rinse with warm salt water. also i clean the area again with chlorohexidine he gave me. I do all of this 3x a day and whenever i eat something. should i be doing more? Any suggestions?

Oh, i wanted to know if part of your gums are suppose to feel numb. when i floss i cannot feel my gums in a certain area. i believe this is the part where he put the stitches in order to hold the flap of gum over the bone graft. will the numbness go away or is this permanent? Should I be alarmed?

Thank you for answering my questions. i greatly appreciate them.
P
p_v13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote