Thread: New VP Shunt-ee
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile New VP Shunt-ee

I am thankful to have found this forum and all of the posts regarding VP shunts. I received my first VP shunt a month ago at the age of 35. I guess I am blessed to say that so far I haven't had much problem with my shunt. I have been experiencing a little abdominal pain and some headaches (especially when standing and bending over), but nothing unbearable...yet! I received my shunt after I had a spontaneous CSF leak from my sinus cavity. In all of the testing to determine why I had the leak, the docs determined that I had some issues of hydrocephalus and said the shunt was necessary to prevent future leaks. It was my second spontaneous CSF leak in 4 years. What's weird is that I never had headaches or any signs (that I know of) of hydrocephalus. I read these VP shunt horror stories and I worry. Was it best to trade an occasional CSF leak for a permanent shunt with so many possible problems. My doctors assured me that it was necessary. I just hope they are right! I wish you all the best with your VP shunts. Please continue to post your progress as it is very helpful to me as a new shunt-ee.
**CARA** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote