View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 10:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been a little afraid of the corn issue. Heck, if Enterolab tested for that, perhaps I would be sensitive to it as well

If you don't mind my asking, why did your son go corn-free? What were the symptoms or the tests that caused you to do this? I'm struggling enough to cope with adding soy to my recent gluten-free regime. Ingredients from corn are ubiquitous, too.

I haven't noticed a reaction to corn. Then again, I haven't noticed a reaction to soy or yeast either. I hardly have a reaction to gluten. What symptoms I have are rather subtle. I thought I might be a hypochondriac about the entire issue until I got the lab results back. I've read about elimination diets. But I don't know how it would work for me, since I don't seem to react. Perhaps if I don't have a food for awhile, then challenge with it, I would have a reaction. But I don't really know that I WANT to know at this point if there is anything else. I'm thinking that I have enough to deal with now ... perhaps later ... Gee, just typing this I feel like such a wimp.

I'm originally from Iowa. How could I have problems with corn? I could never go home again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamietwo View Post
Its definitely possible to be gluten-free and vegan - my family is (I should qualify that - we're strict dietary vegans with the exception of honey)! We never try to eat out!
I know it is possible. I've even joined a Yahoo group for such folk.

Are you perhaps followers of the McDougall diet? Given your explanation, I thought it was a possibility. I've follow this diet myself. The "never eating out" idea frightens me. It is something I enjoy so much. So what, I have to cook all the time now I really enjoy different ethnic cuisines, but this is going to be harder now. How many Asian cuisines use soy sauce, if only a little? What can I spread the hummus on? My favorite Ethiopean place uses wheat flour in addition to teff in making their injera. NOOO!

Sorry, I was whining again. Everybody here has had to deal with the same issues, so I'm sure newbie whining gets a bit old

So, do you EVER eat out? If so, what do you get? Whatever do you do on vacation? We have a two week European river cruise this summer already paid for. For many meals, I'm going to be limited to what they have. My husband thinks I may have to eat fish, but then there is always the problem with any breading, sauces, cross-contamination, etc. I figure I'm going to have to pack some food to fill in any gaps.

I will certainly read the Gluten File as you recommend. I also have a book I just bought (The Gluten-Free Bible) to go through. It seems like figuring out what I can eat has turned into my new, all-time-consuming hobby.
hathor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote