View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Tresa, Abby's advice is the very good. As someone who has had 2 SFEMGs and they were both negative I will relate what I think were the reasons this happened beyond just the fact that this is a test VERY dependent on how good the person is that is doing it.

My first one was at the university I am seen at. It was done in a basement room that was so cold I asked to delay getting undressed/and to have a blanket. All my muscle nerve tests were done in this cold area and tho I always remarked how cold I was it never made any difference to them. My current neuro did mine. I think I was actually the first one she did at the university as she is new muscle neuro they finally found. They had none for some time. The room was small and it was 'more convenient' for her to do my right forearm. I noted that my left was my weakest side. She said it made no difference. I regret now not pursuing that. I had been without mestinon since the nite before.

The #2 one was at Mayo in late November 2008. They take a warm room very seriosuly. But that was the first winter I learned how much better my muscles do in winter. I kinda have a level of remission. Like today I went for literally a brisk walk a little over a block in 24 degree weather! For me that is a miracle. They had me stop the mestinon the nite before and did the test about 3pm. Now I am very very sensitive to all meds. I literally take childrens doses per se. So me being off the mestinon I think in both situations wasnt enough.

I just read about someone saying here that womens muslces fatigue slower. It also said to exercise, be acitve before the test. Prior to the first test I had been on the ward in a hospital bed since the afternoon before. My breathing was worse from stopping so it wasnt like I was jaunting about the halls.

I need another set of emgs. But it will need to happen where they know to warm the muscles and certainly NOT in winter for me.

Annie59

Last edited by Annie59; 12-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
TRESA (12-01-2010)