View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Whodathunkit? - Coffee Allergy

Hi Everyone,

(I posted this on another thread and decided it might be helpful to have it as a thread.)

I attribute the success I have had to two things: Being strict and identifying as many other food issues I have as possible. I am also dairy and soy-free (very common issues) and limit my corn intake.

One of the surprises was my coffee allergy. I had a veterinary client who was suffering from serious migraines. She was self-employed and was spending over $700/month out-of-pocket for Imitrex. I encouraged her to do The Sage Systems ( www.foodallergytest.com ) test and eat accordingly. Her migraines vanished in about 2 weeks and have not returned as of 6 months now. BUT, the interesting thing was her coffee allergy.

Suddenly, I realized that the coffee had lost its punch and even made me sleepy sometimes. I had been having some occasional GI distress/heartburn, fatigue, and headaches that I couldn't figure out. It all disppeared when I went off coffee. I drink hot tea now and it doesn't bother me at all.

Of course, this makes perfectly good sense when I think about it. We know that secondary food allergies occur as the result of the damage done to the intestinal villi by the gluten (and/or casein, soy, corn). Celiacs pre-diagnosis often times drink A LOT of coffee to counteract the depression associated with our condition. I certainly did. So, it makes sense that coffee allergy could be a factor in us. I would imagine that there are a number of celiacs who feel like they have plateaued and it is the coffee that is doing to them. It kinda falls into the "Whodathunkit" category.

Hope this helps someone,

John
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote