View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 11:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry, guys. Being new here, I thought that my response would somehow go under the person I was responding to. I wanted to reply to the other three who have commented.

To DogtorJ:

Why do you limit corn? Is it something you react to or is there some other reason?

I've already given up coffee a few years ago. I develop a dependence on it and then need it to function. I'm laughing because, even though I meant mentally function, I also realize that for several decades of my life, I think it was the coffee that enabled me to have my bowels move at all. (Heck, this is a gluten-intolerance board; we all talk about our poo, right? ) As a child, before I discovered the wonders of coffee, I lived a life of laxatives and enemas. Now, off coffee and following a high-fiber vegan diet (and exercise, plenty of water, and trying several brands of probiotics), I still had problems. I figured it must be something I was eating and thought gluten might be the problem, since I had it every day. Now, my system is doing much better every day.

What do you think of the reliability of blood testing for food intolerances? From my reading, it seems like some say it really hasn't been validated (others disagree, of course, and I lack the technical expertise to figure it out for myself). I know I've read people who say that they react to things that don't show up on their tests and don't react to things that do.

For that matter, I wonder if the same could be true of the Enterolab fecal testing. I don't think it questionable that I react to gluten since I have two gluten-intolerance genes, the antibodies, malabsorption, plus I'm doing better since I cut out gluten. I believe the casein and egg results, since I have real problems digesting them whenever I try. But soy and yeast, I don't know. Now the soy result was much higher, so I'm willing to try cutting that out. But yeast? I'm just over the threshold (11, with under 10 being "normal" according to Enterolab) and having real difficulties researching the issue because what I find is folks talking about Candida problems.

Any insight you might shed on this would be appreciated.

To annelb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annelb View Post
Hi Hathor,
Thought I would try to answer your yeast question. Yes, eliminating yeast is very confusing. There is no black and white with yeast. Apparently for a yeast reduced diet, you eliminate all the food necessary to make you feel better. This may include such stuff as vinegar, coffee, chocolate, citric acid

When talking with Dr. Fine, his eliminaiton of yeast is all added baker's yeast. When I was at his convention he said all food would be yeast, soy, dairy and gluten free. I was surprised to see mushrooms and vinegar.

I have found I feel better if I go a step farther and remove vinegar - maybe it is someting else in vinegar that bothers me. I am also low in processed sugars - I still eat any fruit.

Definitely remove anything that has yeast in the ingredient list - the rest will be trial and error to see what you can tolerate. I found Feast Without Yeast to be a helpful book. http://www.amazon.com/Feast-Without-.../dp/0967005701 The only fault I found is that gluten was not removed soon enough.

I will be interested to hear what Dr Fine has to say.
Anne
I will certainly report back what I'm told.

So, you are on a yeast-free or reduced-yeast diet now? Was this in response to Enterolab testing or did you have Candida-related problems?

The problem with taking out things so I feel better is that I don't feel bad right now. I don't notice a problem with yeasted breads, or vinegar, or mushrooms, or wine. And chocolate! Where did you come up with that one I can't imagine giving it up. I do notice that I feel a little funky if I have too much sugar -- but I imagine that is true of everyone.

I ran across any interesting study. It would indicate that the yeast allergen doesn't make it through the process of making bread, beer, and wine. http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...1994.tb01806.x
I've found other references that say an allergic or intolerance reaction to the yeast in alcoholic beverages is rare and that only a negligible amount remains in the finished product (although there are "yeast breakdown products.")

The only other google hits I'm getting is all the high tech ways vintners use to try to get every little bit of yeast out of the final product, because it affects the quality.

Is there evidence out there that there is enough yeast in the final products to worry about? I find that if I have too much alcohol, sugar, or refined carbs I don't feel well and I don't fight infection as well (the concern of all the Candida web sites and books). But this isn't the same thing as saying there is something in (gluten, soy, dairy, and egg free) bread or wine that I would have an autoimmune reaction against such that I can never have them in any amount.

Looking at labels, I have found that I had a number of meal cups that I frequently used for lunches and snacks that all contain added nutritional yeast or yeast extract. I wonder if that is what the problem is.

Oh, I'm being an argumentative cuss. My husband, who was doubtful before the results came back, now accepts the need for me to eliminate gluten and soy. But he finds the yeast thing doubtful. Maybe because we recently restocked our wine cellar, ya think

So let me keep my dark chocolate and my wine (and find me something I can put hummus on) and I'll be a happy camper at this point Oh, you can't take my hot chiles either ...

To JudyLV:

I know there is nothing worse than someone offering unsolicited advice about one's diet. But I'll throw something out for you; you can consider it or not as you wish. MS is something that we have been researching since my BIL may have it, although his final diagnosis is proving elusive.

You may want to research whether eliminating all animal foods from your diet will further lessen your symptoms. http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_ms.html
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/050812tasic.html
http://www.drmcdougall.com/res_swank.html

My husband has done some more extensive internet research on MS and the diet issue. It seems that traditional treatments don't work well and have troublesome side effects and that Dr. Swank has had good success with diet. However, mainstream medicine is very resistant to saying that diet has anything to do with MS. But dh couldn't find anybody who had conflicting studies or who offered a reasoned critique of Dr. Swank's work. Doctors just offer a dismissive opinion, but never provide an explanation.

Since you have experienced a decrease in symptoms with a change in diet, I thought you might be receptive to another step. It certainly can't hurt anything to give it a try. But please forgive me for offering advice when you didn't ask for it. I mean well

hathor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote