View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Grady Lady,

What a story you have, thank you so much for sharing it with me. You sound at peace with things which is inspiring and helpful for me at the begining of this journey.

My first concussion was at the age of 10 on a bike as well. Also before helmets. I wasn’t doing anything as cool as popping a wheelie though.

It was just after Mount St. Helens blew up – got some volcano ash in my eyes and wiped out. went down sideways and Hit my head on the curb. Mom was running frantically house to house trying to get help like your friend did.

Since then no head injuries until 4 months ago. I’m so thankful for that helmet. When I bought it I always knew I’d wear it but never in a million did I think I’d actually need it.

Now I’m on a leave of absence from work, no driving, and living a quiet life at home as well. This is a 180 for me. I was out there living the go, go, go lifestyle for all my life focused most of all on work. When I got injured all I could think about was getting back to work. Now I’ve realized there are much bigger and more important things to think about. Like my recovery!

Before the accident I couldn’t imagine finding contentment in spending all this time by myself. I’m thankful for the growing and changing I’ve done.

I can’t imagine all that you’ve been through. When living this quiet life at home there is so much time to think. I don’t want anymore concussions.

There is so little understanding out there of how dangerous this can be for kids. I was just told yesterday about a boy who is 17 already has 9 concussions from lacrosse and football.

I’m finding myself wanting to better understand all of this as well. If I was 20 years younger I would go back to school to learn about our brains and how they function.

I’ll post again when I track down the film. Maybe its on you tube.

Peace to you as well,
Marilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Lady View Post
Hi Marilee,

My first concussion was when I was 12, falling off my bike trying to pop a wheelie without a helmet because they weren't invented yet (1966) I was unconscious for a half an hour before the ambulance arrived. My friend frantically was running from house to house trying to get help.

My second concussion was at the age of 14, on the ski slopes, again without a helmet, unconscious for 15 minutes.

The third concussion (16) happened on the basketball court during gym class, slammed my head on the floor, unconscious for about 3 minutes.

ALL were sport related.

I have had 3 more since then in my adult life and 2 car accidents with whip lash (no concussion there but definitely was jarred)

These prior multiple concussions have lead me to experience PSC with my last concussion on 3/1/10. I am so longer working, driving and living a very quiet life at home.

I often have wondered if I were wearing a helmet during the first two concussions, how my life would be different today. And yet you said you were wearing a helmet. Ah this just make sense, Marilee.

Being on this forum and reading about the children who have been injured while playing sports, their parents who come searching for help and how much their lives have changed like ours - all I can say is I feel very committed to understanding this more.

I so look forward to hearing your thoughts....

Peace
Grady Lady
MarileeG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote