View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Good! If you can afford it, I'd say do it!

It can be alot of fun. Artists work many ways, and if you don't try it you won't be able to evaluate it.

I really like intimacy and hands on...so the interface that the computer creates is a bit frustrating for me. So I always go back to my paper and pencils! My training is in fine art as well.

I really am computer limited, even tho I appear not so. I can help you if I can, but things like animations I never progressed to. I have alot of time so helping is no problem for me. I am just limited as to the more complex functions with some of the programs. If there were a way for me to download Jo's brain and mix with my skills, I'd be totally a whiz!

The computer is great for photos, retouching, ad design, making templates for needlework, doing things for online sharing. But I miss the tactile quality that computers seem to lack. The new ads for Nat Geo Migrations are stunning, but I bet I could never achieve that goal!

Some graphics programs are free now on the net. Some of the older Adobe's might be available.

Also this one is free:
http://www.getpaint.net/

or this one:
http://www.toggle.com/lv/group/view/...toshop_CS2.htm

http://www.toggle.com/lv/group/view/...t_Shop_Pro.htm
(stay away from any free Xpro types, they bombed)

Some of these are "trialware" only.
If you know how to do it, you can extend that, it is a hacking trick, tho.

Most graphics programs are expensive. I got my Paint Shop Pro 9 at a huge discount because I had an old 3.1 Corel program they credited me for. In many cases the software will cost much more than the Wacom.

The Paint.net is free free as far as I know. It was designed by MS students as a project and then released into the market for free to use with windows.

You can potentially have alot of fun. But also be aware, that sometimes it can be very frustrating too! The latter depends on your flexibility and understanding of computers in general (which is my big snag).

You need a good amount of RAM to do this...I have 1 gig on this computer and it works fine. With too many windows open, however, it can slow up. Most computers today have enough RAM, in the old days when I did Sheba and the nest I had a thimble full of RAM. LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: fixing spelling
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (12-04-2010)