View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sydney,

While it is true that many people use a conventional RX med approach to fibro, and are happy with it, it is also true that many of us use CAM quite successfully.

A recent study found CAM approaches can be as effective for fibro sufferers as conventional meds, even for the most severe cases. I ran across that abstract earlier today & unfortunately didn't save it. Rats! I will try to post it when I find it.

In the meantime, I recommend the books by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD: From Fatigued to Fantastic and Pain Free 1 - 2 - 3. Each of these books will acquaint you with the range of conventional medical, CAM, and self-help treatments that have been found helpful for sufferers of chronic pain. The first book is more oriented to Fibro & CFS only, but the second book also has great nuggets.

I have used CAM & self-help approaches, without conventional meds, to greatly reduce my pain & incapacitation. Haven't used my walker in over a yr. (I am 53 yo). No more bed-bound days. Use my cane only rarely. My constant day to day pain is no longer continuous, and the few hours per day I have it, it's mild. My flares are increasingly rare, and when they do occur, are not nearly as severe. I'm definitely in "notched-down" fibro mode, and I attribute my improvements to CAM & SH. What I've loved about CAM & SH is that I've had very few side effects & none at present. My activity level, endurance & muscle strength are gradually increasing after being on the decline for several years.

I believe that I have been able to discover & address some of the "causes" of my fibro in a very economical manner. While I may have to continue to certain hormone supplements & dietary restrictions lifelong, these have been very economical changes, and for me, it feels better to be making progress on causation, rather than simply treating the pain, which is a symptom of what's wrong.

To each his own ... I'm don't believe in bashing anyone who chooses conventional meds. But for anyone who is hesitating, there's a whole world of options out there, feel free to explore it.

Best wishes.
SnooZQ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote