Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT816 View Post
I am a 44 yr old female. 5'1. 108lbs.

History of :
CML- In remission 1.8 yrs.
Had a radical Hysterectomy in December due to cancer cells in uterine lining.
Had carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands in July --- I woke to both hands numb and very painful. Had No prior signs of carpal tunnel so I questioned diagnosis but ... had surgery anyway. Since then... Occupational Therapy of 3 months (41 visits) was stopped due to plateauing. My strength DECREASED -40 in both hands.

Trying to rule out MS. 2- MRI's of brain was done. Unable to rule out MS) But not able to confirm either. So... due to weakness , stiffness and pain in arms and occasionally legs... Another MRI done.

Have had many procedures and tests done-- Doctor(s) have ruled out the following:

NEGATIVE:
Fybromyalgia
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Lupus
Osteoarthritis

Cannot rule out MS
Also Waiting on B-12 tests results

My doctor is out until next week but I was able to get a copy of the report:

CLINICAL INDICATION: Apparent Myelopathy, pain in limb. Bilateral arm pain, right greater than left, weakness, Leg weakness. No back pain

MRI-DORSAL WITHOUT CNTRST 9/30/09

TECHNIQUE: Routine sequences of the thoracic spine w/o contrast.

FINDINGS:

*On the localizer view there is hypertrophic degenerative change at C4/5 and C5/6 in the lower cervical spine which is not well demonstrated on this study.

*The thoracic vertebral bodies are normal in height and alignment. There is a normal smooth kyphotic curvature. Disc spaces are grossly normal in height and signal.

*On the sagittal images there is a focal extradural "defect" projecting form the posterior T8/9 interspace. on the right side.

*On the axial images there is a focal extradural "defect" measuring 6mm in width and a 4mm in thickness consistent with a disc protrusion and hypertrophic changes. This impinges on the right saide of the thoracic cord but does not (to) cause significant central spinal cord stenosis.

The remained of the disc spaces are intact. Thoracic cord is normal in caliber and position.

CONCLUSION: Degenerative changes AT c4/5 AND c5/6. Focal extradural "defect" with small disc protrusion and hypertrophic changes at T8/9 on right side.

No spinal canal stenosis.

From what you post, it would appear that your upper extremity symptoms perhaps are a residual of a failed carpal tunnel release, I don't know. Your leg weakness certainly could have origins from a T8-9 disc protrusion. The MRI only captures a moment in time and while you are non-weight bearing. I would think a competent neurologist could figure this out...Also, RSD is not an uncommon complication of carpal tunnel release
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote