View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Talking

Hi everyone! I am new to this Forum, and there are so many interesting threads and discussions! I have an internet friend who has RSD in her arms/hands, like I do.

It has been challenging to find activities to get OUT and at least try to have somewhat of a "life"! However, my friend, who used to be an avid camper/fisher-person and overall outdoor enthusiast found a BRILLIANT activity that does NOT ONVOLVE ARMS!!!!!

It is called "float-tubing"--basicaly, you wear a neoprene wader over shorts and a shirt (or bathing-suit), and you get in this big inner-tube thing with a platform seat, a back-rest and armrests. You wear scuba-diving flippers on your feet. Once you are in the water, you "paddle" with your feet to get you where you want to go on a nice, calm lake....she did it several times, although she just needed a little assistance from her hubby to get "set up".

She said it was the FIRST time in YEARS that she felt "FREE"--and NO USE OF HER ARMS!!!! The second time she went out, she brought light-weigh binoculars, and even saw a bald eagle dive for a fish and bring it out of the water, and it flew right over her head!!!

This summer, she is going to have her hubby attach a fishing pole holder to the arm-rest, so she doesn't have to try and cast out or try to hold the pole--she figures if she cant actually reel the fish in too well, she can just snip the line and let the fish go!! Or, have her hubby help her reel it in (if he can paddle fast enough to get to her!!)

WOW!!!! I asked my PTP/Pain Doctor if I could give this a try this summer--he said GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!! A good way to get a little exercise, or just a "leisurely float" and enjoy some beautiful scenery!!!

I found a whole bunch of these float tubes at www.cabellas.com and waders and flippers as well. Depending on what model, etc. you want, the total cost is basically about $100...if you want a fancier float-tube, well, of course, then the cost is up to you!

This MIGHT also be a great activity if you have RSD in a lower extremity--the buoancy of the water might help, and doing the flipper thing doesn't require much strength according to my friend. It might just be THERAPEUTIC to get the legs moving without weight-bearing. Also, if you have a companion, you could probably be TOWED (basically and "effort-free ride")!!

I cannot tell you guys just how EXCITED I am to try this!!!! Kind of opens up a "Whole New World"!! After I make my "maiden vogage", I will DEFINITELY report back and let you know how it went!!!

Ok, summer---I can hardly wait!!
Brokenwings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote