View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Keppra experience update

Well we are day 13 into starting the Keppra prescription "ramp-up" (starting at 250mg/day/4 days, then 250 in am and pm for 4 days, then 500 in eve, and 250 in morning, then 500 am and pm, then 750mg in am and pm.)

Anyway, we followed the neurologist's advice, started Keppra. No seizures until day Day 5, (first day of 250mg in am and in evening), and my daughter had her usual mild partial seizure, but, the post siezure feelings lasted 4 hours rather than 4 or 5 minutes!? She felt like she was "out of it", had difficulty explaining herself, same visual pictures etc, but had some new symptoms of being very cold, shivering, and very very tired. Of course I assumed it was the medication changing her siezure, but the neurologist, of course said it was too early to tell?????? and recommended we stick with the medication protocol.

Day 6, another seizure, but this time she "nearly fell over 3X's" and felt like her legs and one arm had twitched or nearly gave out. Again felt cold and shivery but this post-siezure symptom only lasted 30 minutes of so. The scary part of this one is it was the first time she seemed to have more of a motor "twitching" sensation. I wonder if this is due to the natural progression, just an abberent seizure, or is it related to this new Keppra medication????

We are still skeptical but trusting the pediatric neurologist knows best. I am going to order some blood tests to check her potassium, calcium, hormones, blood sugar etc. (no blood test has ever been done?) What do you all think?? Have any of you seen a progression or change from sensory to motor as a direct result of the use of Keppra? Thanks for your input.
peterpan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote