View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh my god, this must be just heartbreaking for you. I'm so sorry. Your daughter has absolutely no right to make a psychological assessment of you when she refuses to understand a medical condition. She is NOT EDUCATED ENOUGH to make that assesment. Tell her that. Tell her that you will accept her opinion AFTER she earns her license (Which requires 3,000 hours at 20 hours a week and after that is a hellish test that only 50%-60% of the people pass).
I remember when I was that age, I thought that I knew everything - I was too young to realize that experience was the best manner with which to view life, and I suffered for it. I am so sorry. To be absolutely frank, in my early thirties I had an aquaintance who had broken her back in two places, and required vicodin for her pain. I would not try to comprehend chronic pain - I think that I was simply too scared to 'get' that person could live life suffering like that, and instead judged her for her medication use. Here I am years later, dependent on much stronger medications, and I feel SO BAD for having thought of her that way. Lesson learned.
There are times in my life that I have mirrored other people's behavior back at them as a way for them to learn - and of course, they totally resented me for it, but I felt better for having done it. I'm not saying that this is the best method out there, at all, but could you see yourself giving her the same superior tone that she gives you, but around, say, how young, ignorant, and inexperienced she is? That's one thing that I can think of - fight fire with fire, as they say?
Otherwise, you can take the road of zenlike acceptance, and remove your emotions around it, and approach her with peaceful love (that would be hard for me), but it may be a healthier route.
Finallly, this problem sounds so large, it would be great if you could get her to attend therapy with you. If she is indeed taking up psyche as her major, she will be required to take therapy herself as a requirement of graduation. Maybe that will help, down the road.
I have one more question. Is it possible that she is confusing Trigeminal Neuralgia with Fibromyalgia? I have had one more than one person in my life do that.
I am so sorry that I can not be more helpful - I would do anything to help you solve this problem, but my own imagination won't offer up anything else. Maybe someone wiser than me will come along and help with a better answer. In the meantime, please know that you have the support of the people here on this board, so please don't ever feel alone with this condition. I know that it could never replace the love of a daughter, but it's something.
Lily
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote