Thread: Dental Concerns
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Susan, Do you mean anesthesia as in being knocked out for dental? If you are having that done, it should be in a hospital setting!

My dentist uses Lidocaine. I do okay on that but I know that my MG will get worse for a few days afterwards. I have trouble with my bulbar muscles and breathing. I also shake like crazy from the epinephrine but counteract that with drinking a little juice (glucose counteracts adrenaline). They could try to give you the least amount of lidocaine as possible.

One time after dental, I did wake up choking, which is always scary. If you can have it done in the morning, that's great. They can also "hold" your mouth open for you with those little devices they have so your muscles don't have to do so much work. Trying to relax the muscles during dental, especially when you hate having it done like I do, is almost impossible.

I'm lucky to have such a good dentist. Super nice.

You might need a little more Mestinon in the days following the dental appt. Or rest more or put cold washcloths on those jaw/neck muscles. Or use a humidifier in your bedroom, which helps me.

I'm sure others have some good ideas too. I hope it goes well!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (12-09-2010)