Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasaki View Post
Sounds to me like you fixed it.

You have a different model DSL Verizon box than I do... that's probably why mine blinks and yours doesn't.

Any time I see a frayed wire on any phone line or electrical equipment I replace it. I don't want to take any chances.

Let us know if the technician finds anything.

Abbie
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE, MELODY HAS AN UPDATE. WOO HOO!!!!

I'm happy (crossing fingers that this is all settled). The guy came today.

He rings my bell and I said "Oh, you are the Verizon man, you've checked outside already??" and he goes "No, I am just arriving, I'm announcing myself so you know I'm not a stranger and you don't call the police".

I burst out laughing and said "Get in here". He came in (with his ID badge on) and all his equipment on his belt, etc.)

I bring him into the computer room and explain in detail what I had done and how the dsl line blinks green now and then, but comes back. He said "you want a steady green light". I said "I know".

He then goes into the bedroom (where I have all phone connections going into a multi thing and then into the phone jack). He then declares "Oh you have an octopus'. I said 'I have a WHAT??" He explains that when you have many phones in a multi switch and if these phones are sharing the same connection, you'll get a weaker signal.

Didn't know that.

So I unplugged the extra phones and the lines that go into the cable box so I can order shows on demand (which I have never done so I obviously don't need these phone lines).

Then I showed him that I replaced my DSL phone line cord with a new one, and I show him the 60 foot cord that I had been using, even though the distance between the modem and the wall jack was 20 feet.

The look on his face was priceless. He said 'Holy Cow, this cord is too long, you are only supposed to have 6 feet from the modem to the wall jack, but sometimes it can go a few feet more, BUT NOT 60 FEET, holy cow!!

Didn't know that either!!

Previously I didn't have a shorter cord so I just took up the slack and hid the extra wire behind furniture.

So he gets out his wireless thingees and he runs line test and EVERYTHING WAS FINE.

He said "It might have been the surge supressor (which I no longer have connected to the modem". He said "modems run slower when connected to a surge suppressor".

Didn't know that either either!

Then he sat down and we went on the computer and re-configured the modem again so it recognizes my IP address.

It was working fine he said. He looked at the screen information, pointed out things to me and said "see this, see that?" I understood it all. (quite amazing actually).

So we go outside and I said "I want you to check the phone box outside of my house". He goes 'no problem, but you are getting a 100% signal with no outage and I can tell" So far so good.

So we go outside of my house to look for the phone box. COULDN'T FIND IT.

He's going "What the heck, What the heck, where is the phone box?"

No phone box.

He did not go up the pole because he said "All that would tell me is that you are getting a good signal because I have tested your line 3 times. It''s working fine and so is your modem.

He then came back in the house, everything was working and so far so good.

So far it's been fine since 1 p.m. and it hasn't been this good in soooooo long.

Don't know what he did but he did SOMETHING.

Maybe I did something?? Who knows.

What we are going to do is move the computer into another room so it's closest to a wall jack and the guy told us it's better for the computer to be there than where it now is.

So when the weekend comes, Alan and I are going to move the computer.

Thank goodness I know how to do this stuff.

I think it's cool that I can learn new stuff and apply it.

It's all that Wheatgrass juice. I drink a little cup every morning.

Energy here I come!!

lol

So I thank all of you for listening to my tale of modem woe!!!

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (12-10-2010)