View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Sleep is a luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me_77 View Post
Key problem for me is almost totally being unable to get a decent night's sleep. I read an article that sleep deprivation is dangerous to our health even without PD. I have had severe pain issues due to lumbar spine problems most of my life to one extent or another. Constant cycle keeps me from ever seeming to be able to get ahead of the curve.
I'm glad you brought this up. I was thinking it is rather one of the cruel ironies of having PD. It was PD that interrupted my ability to exercise by declaring itself in dystonic foot. Now it is PD (and meds, largely, I suspect) that has turned my sleep cycle/diurnal rhythms completely on end. It's to the point where 2-4 hours a night feels normal to me and anything more it feels like I have slept too long. Ugh. So tired of taking pills that I tend to skip the sleeping pills....

Also, this profound sleep deficit has parallels to the encephalitis lethargica which further makes me wonder if there isn't a lethargica "lite" related viral infection that could have taken hold...I know it will be countered that our autonomic system that helps regulate this takes a hit with PD, but not everyone gets this symptom (I don't think).

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-10-2010), tulip girl (12-10-2010)