View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Here for me and my mother

Would like to say hello to everyone and share my situation. I am here for my mother and myself. About 4 weeks ago my 87 year old mom fell in her bathtub sustaining a scalp laceration, 3 cm hairline skull fracture and very small subarachnoid hemorrhage per CT. She was in hospital for 1 week. The SAH resolved within 4 days but the day after admission, her labs showed that her electrolytes really dropped esp potassium and sodium. She had mental changes which slowly improved as her electrolytes returned to normal and she came home after one week. She was weak, of course, but mentally pretty normal. Then, one week after being home, we noticed she had trouble forming words and had aphasia. Back to hospital to rule out stroke. CT was okay, sodium was a little low and the doctor said she needed to drink more, at least 2-3 liters aday. Admitted her for care and treatment with Cavinton IV but the next day she was really upset and demanding to go home. (she hates hospitals anyway) Couldn't be reasoned with, definitely not 'with it' as far as the need to stay. Anyway, they let her come home with the stipulation that she would return everyday for 3 days for IV therapy with Cavinton (vinpocetin) which is widely used in this part of the world. After which she was officially discharged and started on tid oral Cavinton. For a while she was improving but now progress has slowed. We had to decrease the dosage as it just seemed to make her symptoms worse. 3 days ago she seemed actually better then bam, after the medicine dose she started having problems again with saying what she wanted and finding the right words. On top of it all, using the stove is giving her difficulties, which is a new issue. She has trouble using the right word for items and sometimes puts things in unusual places (dentures in kitchen sink this a.m.!) She has trouble reading although now her eyes stay on the proper line and don't seem to 'rove' around the page. An improvement.
We received no info from the doctors about what to expect, prognosis, home care or anything. She is really resistent regarding any idea of going into a rehab center.
Despite all the problems she is having, I realize how lucky she, we are that she can do so much! But she gets depressed, of course and scared. I try to keep a positive mindset but it is getting harder.

I really do need a place where I can vent, cry and get advice!

I'm sure there is a proper forum here for this post but honestly I am too stressed to look for it.
And we have no earthly idea why she fell in that damn tub in the first place!
SuzieQ50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cinbad (12-10-2010)