View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow Shalynn I am so sorry you got 'one of these' *******! This is very familiar territory to me. When the student who took over my case for a while for my internist was being so dissmissive suddenly I refreshed my memory on conversion disorder to be prepared. When he went into how many neuros had seen me I said so are you suggesting it is conversion disorder? He give me this big sit up and stare look and said "NO that is when you are paralyzed" suggesting then that I had said that because he had used the word conversion in another context. Wow! At that point I knew I knew more than he did about the subject!

I have had more than one of these and been referred once to a neuropsych for reasons I didnt understand until I found a great great person in the medical records department who listened to me and maybe had her own story. I asked her to go back in my medical record at the university because something was said in a report that I certainly never shared. She did find it and called me. AS she tried to read it she stopped unable to finish it as it was a short but too graphic. It had come from a gyno who I had trusted with a piece of the truth about my trauma. How in the world this doc thoguht any way shape or form that that was appropriate to send that to the univeristy as part of a referal for prolaspse surgery 12 years or so ago is totally beyond me. She was supposed to be one of the good ones. That was one of the first huge loss of faith I had in docs. Thankfully these days I remember my pulmo and know there are really good ones out there.

This medical records person took it out of my file and mailed it to me. I hadnt followed thru with the consult at that time or the surgery so there was nothing attached to it. It was just sitting there causing the first docs to treat me like pain was in my head and that I wasnt as sick as I was and just adding junk that was assumptions from the trauma reference. OUt of that whole university and all the docs I have seen there only one ever respectfully asked me about the trauma and what kind of treatment I had recieved. How sad it that. And how wrong is that.

I am a firm firm believer in needing to read your medical records. Even good docs end up with things getting transcibed wrong at times.

Annie59

Last edited by Annie59; 12-10-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (12-11-2010)