View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Some people will get a positive on the blood work, yet when an endoscopy is done, they will be told they do not have celiac. If you did get a positive on the blood work, I would definitely go gluten free. There are so many false results in the area of gluten. There is no test specific to gluten intolerance yet. Here is a very interesting article about both:
http://www.zimbio.com/Symptoms+of+Wh...r+May+Not+Tell

Gene testing is another option. There are genes they know to be specific to gluten issues. Most celiacs, not all, have DQ2 or 8 genes, or a mix of both...others with gluten intolerance like me may have a DQ1 gene, or as in my case, two DQ1 genes, which is a double dose of gluten intolerance. Along with that fact, one of my DQ1 genes is also specific to neuropathy issues. My sister and my father are both diagnosed celiacs, they have never been gene tested. Yet, for me to have double DQ1 genes, then my dad has to have at least one DQ1 gene, as does our mother.

To be honest, I think in time everyone with celiac/gluten intolerance will be considered celiac. They will one day realize we are all celiac with different levels of the disease.

My symptoms and my sisters were nearly identical...diarrhea, she lost weight, I gained...vitamin and mineral deficiencies...she with excessive iron deficiency among many others. A few years ago we found that I too am deficient in iron/ferritin. Our dad too, was very ill and lost an enormous amount of weight before being diagnosed.

If you are tested and told you are not celiac, then try gluten free any ways. Eating gluten free will not hurt you and you may be surprised to find you feel much better without gluten. I am totally grain free, all grains, not just the ones they know to be specific to gluten.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote