View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose of his heart;724801............I was surprised to begin having chronic, tedious suspicions/obsessions (though not quite delusions) of [B
infidelity[/B] in my relationship. Apparently, I am not alone; the phenomenon even has an evocative name: Othello's Syndrome!!! What did surprise me was that these suspicions upset me. I was never the "jealous type," and rather open-minded about relationship structures. So what gives?

Am I growing up, or growing old? Am I reverting to the mores of my childhood years, a swinging back of the pendulum? Is it really the agonist therapy? Or, as my mother says, "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you," implying the existence of an affair. (Thanks, mom.)

BTW, there's some research floating around on this of late: search "othello's syndrome" and parkinson's. Here's one abstract:

SUMMARY Background: Othello syndrome (OS) is an organic delusional disorder with prevailing jealousy symptoms presumably appearing
... The clinical spectrum of psychiatric symptoms in Parkinson's disease (PD) is very wide, including symptoms of depression and anxiety, hallucinations, delusions, with prevalent paranoid symptoms, agitation, delirium and sleep disorders.

...It is a very disturbing symptom for patients and their partners, often underestimated by them, and should therefore be actively searched for.
POWERFUL POST from Rose of His Heart. I don't think it is just paranoia about sexual or marital infidelity. I think it extends to difficulty in trusting lots of people; paranoia about what people are saying or scheming. It helps a lot if you can talk about it to the friend in question, but it is delicate and explosive, because it's like accusing someone of infidelity and they can deny it, etc.,
I told one person that I am paranoid about two things -
(1) his betrayal of my trust and friendship, and
(2) I am being followed by lobsters.

I am not sure about my cognition in (2), but all my instincts are claiming the validity or (1) and it hurts. Betrayal hurts. But the friend says it doesn't sound like him and I say I am sorry but oh yes it does.
And then I can relieve the tension by holding the door open for my lobsters.
It's live theater to win back a friend lost to PD
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote