Thread: symptoms ?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn01 View Post
I have sensory-motor neuropathy and was wandering if the numbness and sensations can come and go throughout the day. One minute my legs will be mildly numb from my foot to above the knee and then it will be hardly noticable the next couple of hours. I don't notice it as much when I am moving around, but when I'm sitting or lying down for a period of time I do. The sensations are worse when I first wakeup in the mornings. I do have a hard time standing for extending periods of time in one spot, it causes my back and hips to hurt. It's like a burning sensation in the muscles of my back, hip and thigh area. Does anyone else experience this?
I am not diagnosed with anything yet, other than paraneoplastic vasculitis. The autoimmune vasculitis was found on muscle biopsy and seems most consistent with a paraneoplastic process. The paraneoplastic part has not been confirmed or ruled out. It's been a really long process getting testing approved, etc. But I digress.

I was going to ask a similar question of my rheumatologist when I see her on Tuesday. Is all this weird stuff that comes and goes neuropathy, or what? When I'm moving around I have weakness after a bit. When I stand for more than a few minutes in one position my pelvis starts to feel unstable, tilting back and forth, and I have to steady myself by touching something, so I try not to stand talking with someone unless there's something nearby to rest on. I take a walking stick when out walking. The tinglings, burnings, and numbness move from body part to body part from day to day with periods of no sensory weirdness. Like you, I feel the sensory stuff only when not moving around. When I wake up in the morning I just ache from my skin to my marrow. Usually the ankles and/or hips are wobbly when I try to get going from getting out of bed. After some movement those feelings go away. And, for the first year of this disease process I had only exertional weakness, no sensory stuff.

Is this neuropathy if it comes and goes like this? Is it related to the vasculitis?

How was your sensory-motor neuropathy diagnosed? I'm wondering if I should ask for a repeat of the NCV and EMG that I had done a year ago which were negative.

Athena
athena is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote