View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The first issue to understand is that nutrition is a long term fix. It needs to become a way of life. It can literally take months to see a difference. First you need to overcome years of deficiency before you start to actually give the brain an abundance that it can use to recover. The detoxification process will use up much of the early supplements before you get the benefit.

The mix you listed sounds expensive. It has reasonable amounts of many substances but is very weak on the B's. As mrsD said, B-12 can be problematic to absorb. It is available as a sub-lingual drops and as injections besides the normal tablets. A blood test for B-12 levels can be very helpful at determining how you body handles B-12.

Folic acid (folate in a blood test) is also worth a blood test. The folic acid in the mix is reasonable. You will want to be at the top of the suggested normal level for both. The range can be quite wide with a magnitude of three difference between the low normal range and high normal range.

It is completely absent of calcium. Calcium is important and needs the correct mix of magnesium and potassium and D3. You need to be sure the calcium is digestible. Many calcium tables end up flushed down the toilet whole. I take calcium citrate. Calcium carbonate is much less absorbable, especially on a full stomach.

Anybody taking Neurontin (gabapentin) needs to not take magnesium during the same period. Allow the stomach to have time to empty before taking the other.

The vitamin C is a large dose for a single ingestion. It would be much better to space out that much over a day, say 1000 mg AM then 1000 mgs PM. A simple way to tell if you are vit C sufficient is if you are expelling it in your urine. It makes urine bright yellow. Once you are expelling vit C, you should not need more. Some suggest mega C to what is called bowel tolerance (loose bowels) I believe it is more important to maintain just a decent level throughout the day.

I just looked up Dr. Shallenberger's Super Immune Quick Start. It suggests splitting up the serving between two meals. This will be good for the vit C.

As I thought, It is expensive at $2.00 per day. If you can afford it, add some more B's. A B-50 complex tablet and some B-12 (100 to 200 mcg) and B-6 (100 to 200 mgs) should be enough.

As mrsD said, the selenium sounds a bit high. I only take 80 mcg per day. Selenium and some others have a serious limit to the beneficial dosage. Be careful with the " if a little is good, more must be better. " It does not work with many supplements.

The goal is to get you body and brain into balance so it can perform and recover as it should.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote