Thread: dealing with pd
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Azilect reactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smik85 View Post
Hello. I am searching for answers, so I come to these forums and message boards looking for ways to help my mother. She is 74 and has had pd for 22 years. My dad and I are her main caretakers and for the last year have been struggling with the "right meds"
I'm hoping to get some info on Azilect, ocds and personality changes.
I was diagnosed having Parkinson's 12 years ago. I have been on Sinemet and Mriapex for most of that time, starting with low doses and gradually increasing to maximum. Until about 9 mo. ago that pretty much kept the Parkinson's symptoms under control. My Dr. had me try some new drugs as the old ones became less effective.
The latest drug I tried was Azilect (in place of Sinemet). He cautioned me about dietary restrictions and informed me it was an mao inhibitor. I started taking the drug, observing the dietary restictions, but also decided to monitor my blood pressure. My blood pressure shot up from about 130/70 to 180/80. I immediately stopped taking the drug and informed my Dr., who also told me to stop the drug.

In my opinion, the dietary restrictions for Azilect are so severe that they are impossible to keep. You might be able to keep it at home, but not at resturants or other non-controlled places. For example, soy products (on the restricted list) are in almost everything and are all but impossible to avoid. I may have inadvertently ingested soy products causing my high blood pressure.

If you decide to use this drug, I suggest you be very cautious and monitor your BP daily.

Salvator
Salvator is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote