Thread: No kidding?!?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 12:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default If they only thought to ask any of us...

Funny you mention that. I have been reading up on anxiety and PD...this lead to an article where I had a similar reaction. Turns out, YO people are hit hardest by this diagnosis. It hits hard and all over: loss of income and career due to disability; social stigma,relationship problems, ICD and other drug side effects, dealing with chronic health condition. We are under a tremendous amount of stress just waking up in the morning, let alone every work a day stressors that we cannot control. I then think back to those compensatory measures and am amazed all over again that we function as well as we do before meds.

Any links between anxiety and cytokines? I figured out Rick, that my weird episodic 'paralysis' was basically freezing exacerbated by a panic attack. I just didn't know that; I have for the longest time been anxious but never full blown panic attacks. As it turns out PWP do have a high number of diagnosed anxiety disorders centralizing around social phobia, generalized anxiety disorder, and panic disorder. As you point out here, it is a part of disease process and not secondary to our diagnosis. it is showing up very early on and might considered one of our earliest symptoms. I have a few questions right from the start.

Interesting to me is that beta-blockers worked when I was certain that I was having Thyrotoxic Periodic Paralysis, but because they were blunting my panic or limbic system over-reaction. What is similar between having too much thyroid hormone and a panic attack?

If cytokines are linked to anxiety and panic disorder too, what will this mean in terms of biomarkers and Braak's staging?

Lastly not a question, but just noting again the uncanny parallels between encephalitis lethargica and PD. EL often presents with behavioral or mood changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post

(That's sarcasm BTW)

1. Psychosomatics. 2010 Nov;51(6):474-9.

The role of inflammatory cytokines in cognition and other non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
The authors examined a panel of cytokines (IL-1β, IL-6, IL-10, TNF-α) and cortisol in a cohort of 52 PD patients with depression. TNF-α was consistently significant in explaining variance in cognition, depression, sleep, and disability. CONCLUSION: These data are consistent with a growing body of literature that implicates inflammatory cytokines in neural and behavioral
processes and further suggests that TNF-α may be involved in the production
and/or maintenance of non-motor symptoms in PD.

PMCID: PMC2987579 [Available on 2011/11/1]
PMID: 21051678 [PubMed - in process]
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-13-2010), just_me_77 (12-13-2010)