View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Robert - does this mean that I have to have a heavy infestation of aphids which secreted a sugar-rich liquid "honeydew" . . . and grow nice little black colonies of A. niger in the aphid juice ? lol

And thanks, ol'cs for your truthful comments.

Now, would either or both of you fine scientists (ir any oothe r takers) explain this for me?

We are diagnosed with Parkinson's disease based on specific observable symptoms which continue over time and rule out six of one or a half-dozen of other "possibilities."

So we are labeled as PWP (people with Parkinson's) and most of this not-so-elite group respond to the addition of carbidopa/levodopa at varying dosages. Then everything starts to get messy. We get to a point where we cannot decipher which symptoms are being "managed" or "caused" by this dopaminergic addition or the various and sundry dopamine-boosters (or "stretchers" as I like to refer to them), so we try another chemical introduction into our bodies, and we wait . . . and we watch.

And after waiting and watching for several years, we use a very ambiguous scale to categorize us into these neat little boxes known as "stages." And during this time, new symptoms come on the scene - called "dyskinesia or dystonia."

And some decide to use this electrical impulse therapy (DBS) thinking that if we reduce our meds our dyskinesia/dystonia will decrease, (and in some cases post-surgical, it works), yet we still have PD.

My question (I think!) is this:

Why aren't we following the levels in our bodies of chemicals other than dopamine (like levels of Tyrosine, Acetylcholine, GDNF, etc.) as a means of managing our disease - especially when we know that the tweaking of one alters another?

Clear as mud, I'm sure!
Peggy

Last edited by pegleg; 12-14-2010 at 12:06 AM.
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (12-14-2010), lindylanka (12-14-2010), VICTORIALOU (12-14-2010)