View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 03:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default These are looking to prosper on your $$

These e-mails are looking to prosper on your investment in the stock since the spammer has likely invested in this stock and hopes that the people receiving the spam will buy it and the price will go up.

I get these types of emails all of the time for various companies, but all are listed under the pink sheets (i.e. penny stocks) that are not as regulated as the NASDAQ or NYSE, so they can get around some the laws that were setup to stop this type of fraud. Most of the companies that are advertised this way do not even know about it unless you let them know. If you ever decide to look into buying these types of stocks, I would strongly advise you to talk to a investing professional since a significant number of these companies doing some interesting accounting in order to make their companies look better than they really are. If you look at some of their financial statements that are available these companies often have negative balances meaning they are just waiting for the right time to file for bankruptcy or do a "reverse-merger" (something I still can't figure out). My advice for these companies, stay away until they prove themselves by moving up to the other markets.

As for all of the unintelligible junk at the bottom of the emails, these are ways that spammers use to get around the spam filters. Most filters look for specific words or phrases and determine if this is likely a spam or not and then routes the message to a specific folder.

I use google's g-mail which is able to get most of the spam into the spam folder where I look about once a week to clean up and find anything that was put there that is not really spam. After about one day I normally have at least 20 messages in my spam folder trying to get me to buy a stock, buy my medications from India or Canada, meet Russian women or some other ridiculous thing.

Finally, if you are successful in changing your e-mail address make sure it is not published somewhere on the internet. The spammers have devised software that scans the internet for what they believe are emails and create a list from that. This list is then sold to every other spammer in the world and you end up right where you started from.

Good luck with this.
CheCG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote