View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=alice md;725263]
Quote:
being a physician and having to deal for quite a few years with a very "out of the box" illness, forced me to question almost everything in my life.
I'm sure that had to be difficult for you. I think those who aren't in the medical profession tend to think that doctor's automatically have it easier when they are sick, but I can see where that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

Quote:
you have to be aware of the fact that those "boxes" (we call diagnoses) are not strict, and there will always be outliers.
Why are there so many doctors who refuse to do this? Is it an ego thing? Is it something they weren't taught in medical school?

Quote:
being a less knowledgable resident and not "knowing" that the the ratio, Xray etc. don't fit gave me an advantage over those highly experienced physicians who were stuck in their conceptions.
I bet that was an experience you will never forget either. You have to wonder what would have happened to that patient had the diagnosis not been made when it was made? That very thing is what scares me so much of not having a 100% diagnosis. How bad do I have to get before I get a diagnosis? My PCP said he is sure that is what I have. But, I get the impression that his diagnosis doesn't really count.

Quote:
I took a different approach. I try to find those that can. those that expect me to nod my head and agree with what they say, as if it were the words of god, or think it is unreasonable from me to ask them to waste their precious time on understanding my illness, are of no use to me, and as soon as I realize that this is their approach, I nicely say good-bye. thank them for their "efforts" and move on.
This is exactly what I have done. I have probably seen close to a dozen neuros. I think the danger in this is being labeled a doctor shopper. I am not looking for a neuro to give me a diagnosis that "I want" I am looking for a neuro to work and give me a diagnosis that I have.

Thanks so much for your insight and for taking the time to respond to my post.
shalynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote