View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thx jo......i rarely watch tv, so i haven't seen 'this old house'....the fact that they use them there is very encouraging since i know from friends who do watch it, that the stuff on that show tends to be pretty high quality.

we have what's called a summer/winter hookup, which means that our hot water, as well as our heat, is oil-fired.....it's nice that we always have plenty of hot water, but the fuel bills r killing us....i had considered a regular electric hot water heater (gas isn't possible for us) but my hubby thinks the plumbing involved would be a nightmare.....i'm not sure how seriously to take this tho, since this is the same person who insisted that oil heat/hot water was the cheapest and most efficient (yes dear it was in your parent's house but that was 1969!)....it has taken me months of talking to people about their utility bills to convince him that we could cut costs, but i haven't been avle to find anyone with first-hand knowledge of the tankless system.

i have done some online searching, and think that a tankless water heater would save us a bundle, even allowing for installation and purchase costs, but hubby is very cautious about the whole idea....guess i have to get him to watch 'this old house'.

thx!