View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I was on Klonopin (brand name for clonazepam). It left me too sleepy during the day. Clonazepam has a half life of 35 hours. That means that 35 hours after taking it, 50% of the dose will still be in your system.

I was switched to Neurontin from Klonopin. Neurontin has an 8 hour half life. Most of it has cleared the system by morning.

Even at .25 mgs, Klonopin will build up in your system over time to give you the effect of taking 3 to 4 times as much. This will become your all day blood levels.

I just found a spread sheet for extending the half-life of drugs. At .25 mgs each night, by day 7 you will have reached close to average blood levels of .67 mgs. Your peak levels will be even higher to .92 mgs right after dosing. .67 mgs will be your blood concentration for as long as you continue taking the Klonopin.

As a comparison, 600 mgs of Neurontin with an 8 hour half life will never get to a blood concentration above 600 mgs.

So, taking Klonopin as needed will be a tough regimen. You will need to count back to know how much you still have in your system.

Plus, the consequences from long term use of Klonopin are not favorable for someone with PCS.

You might ask your doctor or pharmacist if there is something with a much shorter half life. You do want to be awake for part of the day.

Now, I have probably confused you to no end. Sorry. I tend to get deep into understanding a subject.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote