View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi. My husband had to go on the Fentanyl Pain Patch about 5 years ago. He was on it for approximately two years and went up to 125 of the patch. Before he went on the patch (after years and years of pain), they gave him oral meds but after a while, he needed something more. They had no idea why he had PN!!! He had all the tests, etc. etc.

So they put him on the patch and it did the trick, only he never went to the bathroom like most people. He went once a week if he was lucky.

He only had to take a vicodin for breakthrough pain at the end of those two years.

Then, because I kept going onthese message boards, he went to a chiropractor/neurologist who determined that his PN was due to his back. He had adjustments and today, I am happy to report, goes to a gym three times a week and while he still indeed does have his neuropathy, it is about 90% better than all those years ago when he had to use the patch.

I am only telling you about the patch because if you can't take a pill, (seems it doesn't desolve in your somach, right), then perhaps an alternative form of pain killer might be an option.

I would never advise anyone to take any pain killer but with neuropathy, it's about the only thing that works for most people. Especially people with diabetic neuropathy. I mean, if you have to take a pain killer, it pays to take one that works, right? Alan tried elavil (made him itch like crazy but took the pain away completely!!!. He tried neurontin but it made him deathly ill with fever and chills (we tried this twice with the same results so he can't take neurontin). He tried ultracept. Nothing!!! The vicodin did the trick for the breakthrough pain while he wa son the patch.

Then, thankfully, he was able to get off all meds. It's amazing in his case. He was lucky enough to find out that the PN was due to spinal problems, pinched nerves, bulging discs, etc. etc.

So now, he goes to the gym every other day and has become a weightlifter. Can you imagine that? A person who was on 125 of the fentanyl pain patch, could never sleep, (had to take lunesta) and all kinds of stuff during the day, now bench presses and looks like Rocky. I look at him and shake my head.

And I thank that chiropractor/neurologist every day of my life. He only goes once a month now.

But, and this might be worth mentioning. I purchased a MAGNASSAGER and every day, use it up and down his back (and up and down his calves. and I often even give him a deep tissue massage up his spine. And when I say I give him a massage, believe me, short of a woman walking on his back, I GIVE HIM A MASSAGE!!!!1

I can't tell anybody else this will work for them but obviously it works for Alan!!!!
So I hope you find the option that works for you.
Be well,
melody
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote