View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

WARNING - LONG POST -

I do stand at times when my duties will allow that to be efficient. My therapist got me a twist board, probably for my bday. here's a link for that. Alternating positions is a positive thing.

http://ballyfitness.com/rapid_result...stboard_ex.asp

...my therapist also wanted to try "glow in the dark Kinesio Tape" on me. She's funny like that. For a couple of years I could've been LiLu on the 5th Dimension... here's a link for that too http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&r...og&sa=N&tab=wi

Also I've used a Theracane for muscle spasms. I had to deal with a lot of muscle spasms in my whole upper body. ten years to tell about that. Long story short, about that not being able to get comfortable for sleep -- I had toooooo many areas --- but my ZANAFLEXES did not take effect until I had my cervical epidurals X3 in Feb and March of 2006. I slept the month of April away. My GREAT doctor in Louisville, Dr. Atasoy figured that out for me. (Auto accident in Oct 2000.)

I would recommend Dr. Atasoy to anyone with TOS. He offered surgery. I declined but he helped me in so many ways. I found him in 2004. He helped me discern neck symptoms from TOS symptoms from scalenes and so many other things. I really should send him a Christmas card for all his good care, wisdom and experience. You must find good knowledgable, experienced TOS providers or you're wasting your time and money and may cause you more pain and delay your rocky road to recovery time.

As far as work/keyboarding/sitting/earning a living... well, I know I caused myself a lot of pain, more intense pain, maybe even years of pain, but I'm glad I have managed to stick it out. I hasn't been easy and I truly have stressed my profession.

I don't think I could have pulled court reporting school off with all my problems. I had a problem staying upright for long periods of time (2 - 4 hours must lay down at a 45 degree angle) for about 7 - 8 years. Would have to pull over if driving, many, many times. Oh, the stories to tell about that.

Jo*mar is right about asking for help and extra time to complete course work. That may be your salvation.

You may need to talk to your doctor about school.

It is about conscience choices. You will be doing something... but what?

You're probably getting "winged scapulas" from TOS and poor posture. The Kinesio tape really helps you manage that. A strip of tape along about the bra line, a little higher. You get the idea. You would need an assistant to put the tape on your scapulas. I used to tape my upper body, arms, thumbs, shoulders, top of breast over shoulder and down as far as I could manage myself.

Shoulders rolled forward is another poor posture you must correct.

I used to put my right elbow against the wall and roll the tape over my left shoulder. Don't know if you can understand how and why I put my that right elbow up and against the wall but it worked at that time. I also did the elbow to shower wall, to reach the other side of my body farther.

I can only tell you from experience, bad posture = more pain. I promise.

I also use an oversized tennis ball for my lumbar spine and a miracle ball just above it, to help stabilize posture. Mind you, I don't do this all the time, only because I can't keep up with my balls.... Hubby gets a kick out of me collecting my balls. I'm always asking, "Have you seen my balls?" RITFLOL. You've got to have humor to get through it.

Carry small loads close/clutched to your body. Arm extended caused me MORE pain. I already had my equipment on wheels, but PUSH/PULL caused tremendous pain. Had to reduce my equipment weight. Struggled with that for years. Bought lighter weight, gave up paper ----- paper heavy to TOSers. Books... UGH !!!!

Oh, about Pilates... I bought it, the one with the arm strengthening ring, uh, 10 years later, I just started using it.

I used to say if I only had an "arm power meter" I could schedule things a little better.

For years I had e-stim and hot packs in PT. It would take both of their machines for my neck, upper body, arms, back, right leg. For years, that was the only way I could make it tot he grocery store, after e-stim. My first therapist used to say, "This reminds me of a hospital." My second therapist would reset it. I was hooked up and padded down, so I used my left foot and toes to crank up the juice. It wasn't fun.

You do what you have to do to get by

and that cleaning business, I wear invisible blinders. Don't bother me a bit. Hubby helps out a lot. He had to learn how to load and unload and put away dishes. I would try to put a coffee cup up and at shelf level, cup would just splatter. He figured out it was easier and cheaper to just put them away himself.

There's definitely adjustments and considerations to be made. You seem to be very willing. It'll be ok.

Prayer and devotion is also very comforting. For many years, in the wee hours of the dark mornings, it was just me, my dog and God... for years.

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jbird (12-17-2010), Jomar (12-16-2010)