View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Many people do it by way of a creative outlet - writing, music, arts/crafts, hobbies/interests.
I'd like to elucidate on this a bit. Some distractions are what I'd call "passive" - watching movies, listening to music... While these are good for some things, I've found that more "active/interactive" distractions - those requiring significant mental concentration - are better for taking my mind off of pain. I couldn't tell you if it's the degree of concentration itself, the parts of the brain being utilized, the brain chemicals at work, or what the specific mechanism(s) are - only that if I'm concentrating very hard on creating/designing something, time passes quickly (like being busy at work rather than waiting for quitting time on a slow day) and I either don't notice (as much) pain/discomfort, or I forget about it.

There have been times I've been working on writing an article, creating a presentation, designing a quilt, etc. that I suddenly come to a stopping/break point, look up, and realize it's 2+ hours later than I thought it was and I haven't noticed the time, the pain, the starving dog expiring at my feet...

A secondary(?) benefit is that I've accomplished something and the gratification that comes along with that.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote