View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Blocking SPAM et.al.

Melody,

I'm a real newcomer to NeuroTalk; just started today. I am fairly proficient with computers but when it comes to blacking ALL SPAM from your eyes and still letting anyone with a valid reason get an e-mail to you, I don't think even Bill Gates can stop it!

You have gotten a lot of good advice from others. It should help you reduce SPAM, but there are two reasons why you can't completely stop it:
  1. The SPAMers keep changing their names and addresses in a way that you can't define a SPAM blocker rule that can detect all unwanted e-mail,
  2. Many of the SPAMers are using graphics based messages instead of text based messages and graphics is almost impossible to filter.
What I mean by graphics based is they are sending a picture of their message instead of a typewritten message. While your brain can read a picture as well as typewritten or handwritten messages, e-mail programs (at least the ones I'm aware of) can't do that.....yet! There are optical scanning programs that can read and convert graphical letters and numbers, but they are not 100 % effective and would be easy to trick by SPAMers.

So for the time being, at least, all of us are stuck with some SPAM, unless you want to limit receiving mail from only a specific list of adresses.

Good luck.

Salvator
Salvator is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote