View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post RSD Is Not Psychological!!!

I'm so sorry that you have this to battle, on top of all the pain of RSD! But know this: RSD is a Neurological (physical) disorder, it is NOT psychological! However, one of the many unique, and somewhat ironic characteristics of RSD is that it *in and of itself* can cause problems such as depression, irritability, sleep disturbances- because of RSD's link to the limbic system in the brain (which also controls emotion and sleep). So, on top of the fact that chronic pain, and a diagnosis such as RSD would make anyone depressed and have trouble sleeping, but the disease itself actually *causes* these feelings, as well as all the more prominent symptoms, such as intense nerve pain.

I'm no expert, but as I was recently dx with rsd/crps I've done my best to become one - I've spent nearly all day, every day researching, and trying to learn all I can about this- I've read many, many articles regarding RSD/CRPS, written by some of the top experts on the topic that thoroughly explain the disease, and they almost all agree that those emotional symptoms are indeed caused as a direct result of the disease.

But that isn't to say that the psychological issues caused by RSD should be ignored or brushed off either- emotional stress or pain is as real as the pain of the disease is. Do whatever you can to ensure you're treating both your physical and emotional self...but bottom line, don't let anyone "bully" you into believing that this is "all in your head", because if you start thinking that way, you really might just go crazy after all! (I think most of us felt that way to some extent at first- at least I did- but it's not, don't forget that!)

Best of luck to you! Don't give in to the "bullies"!!
SnowWhyte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wswells (12-20-2010)