View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri_TOS View Post
Hi! Sorry you're dealing with TOS and trying to take care of an infant. My youngest is 3.5 months old. For me, pregnancy was a temporary relief from TOS symptoms on my non-operated side. I developed TOS from two separate incidents/injuries on each side. Right side was primarily neurogenic triggered by an MVA but I was predisposed to TOS due to a large bone tumor on the 1st rib. Surgery was 6 yrs ago this month and so far successful (complete relief of symptoms - keeping fingers crossed). On the L side, I was diagnosed with the venous & arterial TOS 2 years ago (~70% compression) but I also have a cervical rib on this side so once again I'm predisposed to TOS. My left arm currently goes "dead" if I raise the L hand to shoulder height. Even though I had success from TOS surgery on the right, I'm still hesitant to jump in and have the left done until the symptoms are severe enough or I develop the blood clot.

I can't speak to surgical outcomes for vascular reasons but people who opt for surgery for vascular TOS tend to do better after surgery.

Caring for the infant - it might get easier as they get older even though the weight slowly increases. They start becoming more independent and spending more time playing. My 1st didn't want to be held at all. This one is the opposite.
Wow, that's great that your pregnancy was a break for you! Did your venous symptoms subside as well? I may never have realized I even had TOS if not for getting pregnant! Looking back I can see I had some mild arterial and nerve symptoms for a while, but the vein problems only showed up while pregnant.

What imaging studies were done to show your compression on the left? Is it constant compression or position dependent? What is the advice of your doctors regarding surgery? I just figured vein and artery problems required immediate surgery, so when my local doc said he could operate now or five years from now and it wouldn't make a difference I was pretty shocked. Although he insists that only repetitive over-the-head motions cause clots, and I'm not so sure about that if there is compression already.
pixified is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (12-19-2010)