View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Severe Nausea after Chiari 1 Malformation Decompression Surgery

Hello, I am currently 17 years old, and I have been plauged by severe constant nausea for almost 6 years. I was diagnosed with an Arnold Chiari Malformation in March of 2006. I was also diagnosed with a Basilar Invagination, which is when my odontoid process (the bone your head pivots on) was pointed in the wrong direction, compressing my brain stem. I had the decompression surgery and removal of the odontoid process in June of 2006. Ever since then, I have been suffering from constant severe nausea. Some days I won't have any, but other days after anything I eat, I feel like i need to throw up. I have only actually thrown up once or twice. But the feeling of needing to throw up all the time after I eat anything is very annoying. I have tried numerous acid reflux medications, such as Zantac, Prilosec, ect. and none of them seem to really work. I am currently taking Pepcid AC, and that seems to help slightly. My nuerosurgeons are wondering if I possibly have Vagus nerve damage, the vagus nerve controls your digestive tract, and that is what is causing my severe nausea. If anyone knows anything about what could be causing this or has ever experienced this, please let me know. Im dying for answers, I am so sick of being afraid of food and being so worried about getting sick. Thank you.
pom4life is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote