View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I think its ridiculous for it to be illegal for people suffering horrible unrelenting pain, especially terminal ill patients, let them go for it i say, yet they allow the manufacturing of cigarettes and hard alcohol, then our goverment has the cheek to put advertizements on TV, warning us of the terrible diseases we can get from these LEGAL products they allow to be made and sold what a joke, its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$ taxes out of them.
I smoke and i use to drink alcohol, i have stopped the beer but having problems trying to cut down on the rotten smokes.

The only thing i worry about legalizing weed is the long term abuse of weed, i have personaly seen the damage it can do , i have seen a complete turn around of personality from a long term abuser of weed, but for severe pain it should be legal.
Brian

I
I agree with all you write. Stopping smoking about 26 years ago was the single most difficult thing I ever did, but it was worth it. It took two years for me to stop coughing and for my trachea to stop hurting. Another reward was 12 years of recreational running and backpacking before getting PN. Running was the most joyous time of my life, every day, and all over the western US and Baja California.

I stopped smoking about 5 times before it stuck. That was before the nicotine patch. I took stop-smoking classes twice. They taught several things that helped:

- Alcohol and caffeine go with cigarettes, so don't drink liquor or coffee until the habit is under control...six months for me.

- Avoid smokers until the habit is under control...six months for me. It's too easy to bum a smoke, then another, then you're obligated to buy a pack for them, and you're back into it.

- Pick an alternative incompatible with smoking. It was running for me, but you could join a monestary or live on your own little island or piece of outback for example until the habit's under control.

- If you backslide, it doesn't mean that the habit is stronger than you are. It only means you backslid, and that's part of your process of quitting. I backslid at least 4 times.

- Fresh smoke still smells alluring to me, but it's been years since I've craved a smoke. I'm still addicted in the sense that it would be easy to start again...so I don't.

- Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. Smoke has carbon monoxide in it that supplants oxygen in your blood. Both are just what your PN doesn't need, nor the healing process when you get your new hip.

- The physical habit is gone in a few days, but the craving lasts longer than your willpower. My crisis every time I quit was about the 2 week point. You need help and support, and to follow guidelines and principles like those above to get past that inevitable hump. The craving will slowly go away and your willpower will grow with practice.

- Stopping smoking is the best single thing you can do for yourself and your PN. You'll be a hero in your eyes, and mine too.