View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Social SEcurity appeal

Once you have been denied, you can usually obtain a lawyer to help you appeal to social security and they take their pay on contingency. It's usually about 30% give or take some. Typically it takes about two years on a waiting list for your case to be heard. In the interim, it is very difficult to live and if you can get any state insurance or high risk insurance, that may be the only other option as you wait. I would see an attorney ASAP.
My daughter had serious health problems and she couldn't get any help Medicaid was either for someone with a child or pregnant or you were very indigent or on social security SSI.

I don't know how anyone lives on SSI, it is so small but the medical benefits are very helpful. Our daughter we kept on a Cobra plan until she was 24 and were in the appeal process. We were told by someone in social security that if she got sick enough that her life was at risk, that we could have an immediate emergency hearing with a judge, you can expedite it in that case. There is a huge waiting list. She was finally approved for SSD and since we had waited two years from the time of the injury and application she was already eligible for Medicare.

If you can find someone to help advocate for you - check around your area for organizations that may assist in this way and as I saw someone note to take all your paperwork to your social security office. They may be helpful and direct your options.

Best Wishes, This is very hard while you are not well.
Elizabett is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote