View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawigirl08 View Post
....I decided not to take meds but over time I have had to and now feel like a drug addict - I can now tell the time by my pain levels rather than a watch and know when my meds are due - you do what you need to to get by - good luck
Hi malawigirl08,

I know this is an older post, and perhaps you're past this, but this paragraph really jumped out at me.

Anyone taking appropriately prescribed medications as prescribed and for the reason(s) prescribed is not an addict.

It's important that old misconceptions and confusions be dispelled; dependence and addiction are not the same thing!

Addiction
Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

Physical Dependence
Physical dependence is a state of adaptation that is manifested by a drug class specific withdrawal syndrome that can be produced by abrupt cessation, rapid dose reduction, decreasing blood level of the drug, and/or administration of an antagonist.
-----

The fact that you are telling time by pain levels rather than a watch supports that you are not an addict; "clockwatching" is an addictive behavior (it is also a pseudo-addictive behavior, but that is a separate issue also explained in the above referenced document.)

I agree, support, and have long professed the view that "you do what you need to to get by" (with the usual disclaimers re: legality, safety, harm, etc.) with slightly different phrasing.

Hang in there,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CarlaDanDan (12-22-2010)