View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blush What a crappy topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
Post-marketing experience has shown that diarrhea may be a sign of drug-induced microscopic colitis, primarily lymphocytic colitis. . . .

If the cause of prolonged diarrhea remains unclear or continues . . . , then further diagnostic investigations including colonoscopy and biopsies should be considered.
This is one of the more embarrassing PD symptoms. Nothing like being out in public and having a sudden uncontrollable "attack."

But what Jim described doesn't sound like microscopic colitis. My husband (who doesn't have PD) suffers from microscopic, lymphocytic colitis and it is not characterized by periods of constipation. It is all diarrhea - all the time. His was diagnosed after a colonoscopy and biopsies. Meds are VERY expensive, but we have found that probiotics (acidophilus, etc.) help. He needs a high dose in pill form.

On the PD side of things, I have a similar problem to Jim and (on my doctor's recommendation) have found that a low dose every day of FiberCon or generic fiber laxative helps. It absorbs the excess fluid, creates bulk, and helps with regularity. I take one before bed and one in the afternoon, if I think of it. No need to take the full dose recommended on the bottle, but it's important to take a low dose every day. If I forget, I'm in trouble.

All of Peg's recommendations are good!

J:-)
Judith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dilmar (12-25-2010), pegleg (12-22-2010)