View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I'm not sure if there is a favorite memory. My Dad was a Southern Baptist preacher and we didn't have a lot of money. In fact the term 'a lot of money' shouldn't even be part of the equation. We were dirt poor but we had no idea we were because we were so happy. We had our family so therefore we had everything we needed. For Christmas we all got one gift. We used the old Sears catolague until there was no piece left. We made paper dolls, furnished doll rooms and everything else out of that poor catalogue. Our Dad would take scrap pieces of wood, plane and sand them down and we made city buildings out of them for our younger brothers gifts. I ironed my brothers diapers so I could have enough money to buy them a new pair of plastic pants for Christmas!!! Our Dad was our biggest play thing. We had a nice fenced in yard in one of our parsonages that we made our camp in. Dad would put up tents by putting a blanket up against the fence and we slept in those. The only way we could do that is fi slept out there with us. He never made it through the night. After laundry us 5 kids enjoyed the big old laundry bucket for a swimming pool. We had a garage that should have had a big wind blow it don but Dad built my sister and I a life size man with fully hingable joints. We bandaged that poor guiy, his name was Harvey, we found berries, ground them up and gave them to him for medicine. My sister and I were going to be missionary nurses in Africa! We only watched TV on Saturday. There was some Lawyer show on and the first half hour was the action and the second half hour was the trial. I didn't know if I was a big girl and be with my sisters or a little girl and be with my little brothers. So I would watch the first half hour and then go outside.

Those good old days are over. Kids have all of thier electronics. But of course I like then also! But I do't think kids wil ever enjoy the times when we had nothing but just didn't know we had nothing.
doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (12-23-2010)