View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default family trouble

It is not fun, when I family member cannot have empathy for your dissability. She may be too young to fully realize what you are going through, or cannot except the situation for herself. Sometimes you have to protect your own feelings and put yourself first. If you take a step back from her, withdraw a bit, maybe she will think first before she makes negative comments. I do know how hard it can be with a family member. I too have trouble with my daughter who is now 36. Unfortunately she was unable to deal with my dissabilities, and really didn't want to hear about it. I granted her request and withdrew from her life. This has been painful for me, but less stressful. I don't want to have to defend myself, when the medical conditions I have are my reality. I do have good friends who step up and are good support. Sometimes your friends can be better for you than your own children. You can pick your friends as they say, but not your family. Give her grace, even if she cannot do that for you. Be kind back, even if she can't, and maybe distance yourself just a bit. I do not like confrontational battles over things that you have no control over, so I choose the peacefull route as often as I can. I hope the holidays will give you peace in your life. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote